How Often Should I Wax My Car?
Waxing a car protects paint against wear and tear, but many drivers find themselves confused when it comes to scheduling. If you’re wondering “How often should I wax my car?”, Jeffrey Kia is here to tell you all the details!
How to Wax a Car
Experts recommend waxing a car twice a year, once before summer and once before winter. However, waxing every three months is ideal to keep your car in the best shape possible. Here are some tips to keep in mind before breaking out the supplies:
- Wax your car in the shade to avoid drying out the product.
- Use clean microfibers and wash mitts to prevent debris from ruining your finish.
- Consider vertical or horizontal waxing methods to prevent streaks.
- Harder waxes are more difficult to apply, but the results last longer.
- Liquid waxes are easier to use, but need to be applied more frequently.
When you’ve considered these tips, you’ll want to start by washing your car! After all, you can’t wax your if it’s dirty. Start by applying a small amount of wax to your applicator. Apply your wax in a small, circular pattern. Continue doing so until you have a very thin, visible layer of wax applied to the entire body panel. Wait until the wax is dry, and looks like a dull layer of dust or chalk. Using a clean microfiber cloth, wipe away the wax in a similar circular pattern. You’ve now successfully learned how to wax your car!
How Often Should I Wax My Car? What Affects Waxing Intervals?
If you’re wondering “how often should I wax my car,” you should know that there are dozens of factors that can affect that amount! So it’s less “how often should I wax my car,” and more “when should I wax my car?” Because wax creates a layer of protection from your elements, it’s suggested that you wax your car every six months, between the harshest seasons of the year. However, if you’re making frequent trips from St. Clair Shores to Macomb and Warren, then you may want to consider waxing more frequently. Other factors include:
- If your car is stored outdoors, it will likely need more frequent waxing
- If you drive on dirt or gravel roads, you will need to care for your paint more often
- If you drive your car during the Grosse Pointe winter on salted streets, then you need to make sure you wax your car every fall and spring for the most protection
Give Your Car Some TLC!
Ready to give your car some love? Visit Jeffrey Kia in Roseville, near Eastpointe and Detroit, for our total care package or find out more about spring maintenance. We’d also be glad to answer any questions you may have, from “how often should I wax my car?” to “how does an oil change work?” we have you covered!