How to Jumpstart a Car
Imagine the following scenario: You get in your car and try to start the engine, but nothing happens. You try again and again, but still no results. What do you do now? If you know how to jumpstart a car, you can avoid the costs and stresses of calling a tow truck. And if you don’t know, you’re about to find out! The experts at Jeffrey Kia can help you learn the simple steps of jumpstarting a car like a pro. Let’s get started!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Jumpstarting a Car
Before jumpstarting a car, you only need two things: a pair of jumper cables and a good Samaritan who will help you out. The good Samaritan must have a battery that either matches or surpasses your voltage, but other than that, the type of vehicle does not matter. Once you’ve gotten your supplies in order, follow these steps:
- Switch off the engines on both cars and put both in either Park or Neutral. Flip on the parking brake.
- Attach the red clips ot the positive terminals of both batteries. The positive terminal will be marked with a POS or +, and it is the larger of the two terminals.
- Attach the black clip to the negative terminal of the working battery.
- Attach the other black clip to an unpainted metal surface of the other vehicle. Many drivers use the metal struts that hold the hood open.
- Switch on the engine on the working vehicle and allow the engine to run for several minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle.
When you turn on your car, a few things can happen. Ideally, your engine will start and you’re ready to go. Make sure to drive around for at least 15 minutes to recharge the battery. If your vehicle does not start, then try again in a few minutes. If nothing happens, then it’s time to call a tow truck and schedule your service with Jeffrey Kia. Your battery may be past the point of a simple recharge.
Learn More about Car Care
Now that you know how to jump a car, why not learn a few more skills for the road? Check out how to tell if you need new brakes, or learn how to diagnose a leaking car, or see what happens if you don’t change your oil. Still have questions? Contact us at Jeffrey Kia in Roseville, near Eastpointe and Detroit.