What Does My Check Engine Light Mean?
Every driver has experienced the panic that unfolds when that flashing check engine light pops on, but no need to fret! If you’re searching for the answer to the question,”What does my check engine light mean?”, the folks at the Jeffrey Kia service department are here to tell you. Learn the most common causes of that blinking check engine light, then schedule your service today!
Why is My Check Engine Light On?
- Faulty 02 sensor
- Loose gas cap
- Low oil
- Faulty spark plugs or spark plug wires
- Mass Airflow Sensor problems
- Catalytic converter problems
While it will vary by automaker, check engine lights often have color codes:
- A yellow check engine light often means that the electronic control system finds an issue. Sometimes these issues are easily remedied.
- If you notice a red or flashing check engine light, it could be indicative of a more serious issue, and it’s probably worth having your vehicle towed to a service center.
What to Do if Your Check Engine Light is On
Do the simple things first:
- Try tightening your gas cap.
- Check your oil levels.
- Scanning your dashboard gauges — are other lights on?
If these simple fixes don’t yield results, you may have a bigger issue.
Does your car have diagnostic codes? If so, diagnosing something specific may be as simple as taking your car to a service center, or even doing a quick search online. Regardless, if there’s an issue, you should do the following:
- Lighten the load on the vehicle if possible — for instance, avoid towing or transporting heavy cargo.
- All in all, take it slow and go easy on your car until you can get it serviced.
Learn More About Kia Maintenance
Discover your new Kia maintenance schedule with Jeffrey Kia of Roseville, near Eastpointe and Detroit.